Interfaith Worker Justice (IWJ) has been a leader in the fight for economic and worker justice in the United States since 1996. IWJ educates, organizes and mobilizes people of faith, workers and advocates in support of economic justice and worker rights at the local, state, and national levels.
Today there are more than 60 affiliated organizations in the IWJ network, including a variety of interfaith groups and more than two dozen worker centers that are leading policy and organizing campaigns that build worker power. IWJ’s network is the only network that includes interfaith and worker center affiliates in the US.
Job Summary: Interfaith Worker Justice (IWJ) seeks a part-time Event Coordinator to oversee the planning and management of its Annual Awards Gala in Washington, D.C. at the end of the year. The ideal candidate will be an experienced, well organized, and take charge professional who has a passion for organizing unforgettable events.
Location: Chicago, IL (with some travel to Washington, D.C. required)
Hours: 10-20 hours per week (September – October), 15-30 hours per week (November - December)
Accountability: The part-time Event Coordinator is directly accountable to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities: This position is the primary administrative position supporting IWJ’s staff and board, and fundraising committee on the logistics, program, and sponsorship of the event. Duties include:
- Event Planning and Logistics
- Negotiate and secure event space and catering contract.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters.
- Oversee implementation of event work plan and timeline.
- Serve as day of coordinator; manage staff and external vendors to maximize productivity.
- Track expenses to meet expense/budget goals.
- Event Program and Sponsorship
- Coordinate the event host committee and provide administrative support to IWJ staff and board on event-related matters.
- Develop marketing and sponsorship materials in close coordination with development and communications staff.
- Oversee implementation of sponsorship, ticket sales and outreach plans.
- Coordinate production of the ad book.
- Make travel and lodging arrangements for speakers and honorees, as needed.
- Work with Development staff to produce internal reports and ensure sponsor recognition
Evaluation: The work will be evaluated based upon this job description’s responsibilities, the specific goals and objectives established.
- Experience planning successful fundraising events.
- Excellent communications, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead and coordinate.
- Creative thinker and fast learner, ability to communicate ideas effectively.
- Extremely organized, detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and to handle complicated tasks in a timely fashion.
- Ability to deal with confidential tasks, with discretion.
- Pro-active problem-solver, able to identify and resolve problems quickly.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter with salary expectations, resume, writing sample, and names and numbers of three professional references to 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. Chicago, IL 60660 or email in a PDF or word format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put Event Coordinator in the subject. No calls please.
IWJ is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.