The goal: End wage theft (the illegal underpayment or non-payment of workers' wages).
Interfaith worker advocates, ethical businesses and community leaders are getting tough laws passed, sending a message to unethical employers: Thou shalt not steal. But more needs to be done.
More than 16,000 workers come to IWJ worker centers for help each year. 80% are victims of wage theft. Wage theft happens in every industry to millions of workers. Billions of dollars are stolen when employers pay less than minimum wage; refuse overtime pay; force workers to work off the clock; hold back final paychecks; misclassify employees as independent contractors; steal tips; and fail to pay workers at all.
Wage theft cheats workers, steals from the public when companies fail to pay employment taxes, and puts ethical businesses at an unfair disadvantage.
But, together, we are making a difference.
“Wage theft is our industry’s dirty little secret. But it is not little and not really secret.” – Stan Marek, president and CEO of a large Texas construction company
- Become an e-advocate to stop wage theft -> Click here to sign up for action alerts
- Read Wage Theft in America: Why Millions of America Aren’t Getting Paid and What We Can Do About It and lead a book study for your congregation, community group or business association - > Get the book from IWJ
- Hold an educational forum on Wage Theft. Invite workers, worker center leaders, and IWJ leaders to speak -> Click to a "how-to" guide here
- Plan a prayer service around Wage Theft or highlight this issue during a worship service in your congregation -> Click to download a wage theft bulletin insert
- Start a campaign to get tough anti-wage theft legislation passed and enforced in your community -> Email us to get started
- Build relationships with your state and local Department of Labor officials -> Click to a "how-to" guide here
- Give to IWJ to support the campaign against wage theft -> Click here to give
- Browse our resource center to learn more about worker justice -> Get started now!