MEDIA ADVISORY for March 29, 2011
Kristin Ford, Faith in Public Life, 202-459-8625 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Danny Postel, Interfaith Worker Justice, 773-728-8400 x24, email@example.com
Faith Community Rallies Against Attacks on Workers, Middle Class
Interfaith Worker Justice, NAACP announce plans for "We Are One" Events across U.S. on April 4
Faith leaders, workers, and labor leaders will hold a telephone press conference on Tuesday, March 29 at 2:00 EDTto announce coordinated actions across the country on Monday, April 4 and the weekend before to stand up for working families.
Martin Luther King was assassinated on April 4, 1968 while fighting for workers' rights, and in commemoration, the faith community will stand alongside civil rights organizations, labor unions, and people from coast to coast under the banner We Are One to advocate for working families.
The religious and labor leaders on the call will stand up for police officers, firefighters, nurses and caregivers, teachers, students, and working families who are under attack. Right-wing ideologues and political leaders in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and others are proposing drastic cuts that would hit hard-working public sector employees and middle-class families hardest.
WHAT: Telephone press conference announcing coordinated "We Are One" actions to stand up for working families
- Rev. Nelson Rivers III, Vice President for Stakeholder Relations, NAACP
- Mario Ramirez, Worker at a manufacturing company and leader with Voces de la Frontera Worker Center in Milwaukee (an affiliate of Interfaith Worker Justice)
- Arlene Holt Baker, Executive Vice President, AFL-CIO and board member, Interfaith Worker Justice
- Rev. Frank Raines III, Pastor, Dexter Avenue Church in Detroit, Chairman of the Labor Relation Department of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A. and board member, Interfaith Worker Justice
- Jonathan Currie, National Organizer, Interfaith Worker Justice (moderator)
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. EDT/1:00 CDT
DIAL-IN INFO: 888-674-0222 , call ID: "We Are One"
RSVP: Please RSVP to Kristin Ford at Faith in Public Life to reserve your place: firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-459-8625